Church of La Soledad, Oaxaca, Oaxaca, late 17th Century
The Church of La Soledad (Mary, Mother of Sorrows) was built (1682-1690) to house a miraculous statue of the Virgin venerated and loved by the people of Oaxaca. Later in 1909, La Soledad became the patron saint of the state of Oaxaca. The impressive facade of the church has the form of a huge folding screen. Elegant, yet restrained, the facade follows the precepts of Classical Orders. The engaged columns of the bottom tier are of the Doric Order, those of the second tier are Ionic, and those of the third tier are Corinthian.