Saint Peter and Paul (San Pedro and San Pablo), Teposcolula, Oaxaca, 16th Century
The Dominican monastery of San Pedro y San Pablo was founded in 1538; the church and monastery were substantially complete by 1561. Construction dates for the magnificent open chapel vary, but it appears to have been built very late, some time between 1561 and 1579. One of the most beautiful in Mexico, this open chapel reflects an elegant Renaissance style with geometric designs. The church, originally a single nave, was enlarged and transformed into a cruciform church in 1692. High quality statues of saints from an older church adorn niches on the facade. They stand on pedestals that bear tequitqui relief sculpture reflecting Mixtec influence.