St. Michael (San Miguel), 16th Century, Huejotzingo, Puebla
The Franciscans established a mission in Huejotzingo in 1529. Construction of the present buildings started in the late 1540s and the complex was completed in the 1570s. Juan de Alameda was the architect and engineer. All four posa chapels are still in tact. Both the church and monastery retain original murals from the 16th and early 17th century. Most notable mural: the original 12 Franciscan friars who came to Mexico in 1524.