Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, Puebla, Puebla, 16th-18th Century
One of the original seven dioceses, the bishopric was originally established in Tlaxcala in 1531, then moved to Puebla in 1539. Construction on the present cathedral started in 1575 and continued for almost two centuries. The interior was complete by 1649, the facade by the 1660s, the first tower by 1680, and the second not until 1768. The Baroque facade of the church, restrained in ornamentation, reflects the influence of the Spanish architect Juan de Herrera. The interior of the building was completely refurbished in a Neo-Classical style in the early 19th century.