Cathedral of San Idelfonso of Toledo, Mérida, Yucatán, 16th century
The diocese of Yucatan was founded in 1562, making it one of the original seven bishoprics established in New Spain. Dedicated to San Idelfonso of Toledo, this was the first cathedral to be completed on the American mainland, and the oldest still standing in its original form. The cornerstone was laid in 1562, construction was completed in 1599. The final and principal architect was Juan Miguel de Agüero. Stylistically austere, simple, bold, the Cathedral shifted away from the elaborate ornamentation of the Plateresque toward the sobriety of the Renaissance.