Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Guanajuato, 17th Century
Construction on the parish church of Guanajuato was initiated in 1671, completed in 1696. Since its completion, the church has housed the patron saint of Guanajuato, a statue of the Virgin Mary granted to the city by Phillip II in recognition for the enormous amount of silver sent to the Spanish crown from this region. Center of the main altar, the Virgin stands quite appropriately on a solid silver pedestal.
The original Baroque retablos of the church have all been replaced by neo-classical altars. The church has three portals, each surrounded by skillfully carved facades of cantera rosa. The facade of the main portal has three tiers which form a pyramid with classical lines. Cruciform in plan, the church was raised to the status of Basilica in 1957.