Cathedral of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, Zacatecas, Zacatecas, 18th Century
The present-day Cathedral began as a parish church for the rich colonial silver town of Zacatecas. Construction was started in 1729, and the church was dedicated in 1752. Construction continued on the side portals and towers, the last of which was not completed until 1904. In 1862 the parish church was raised to the level of Cathedral.
The enormous retablo facade was carved from a brownish colored stone that changes color in the sunlight. This intricately carved facade features life-sized statues of Christ and his 12 disciples engulfed in a framework of overflowing relief sculpture. Vines, leaves, scallop shells, twisted columns, angels, and musicians proliferate. The facade is a masterpiece of local craftsmanship, a splendid example of popular art.
Sadly, the interior was redecorated in the 19th century in a neo-classical style. Partially restored in 1964-65, it now more closely reflects the original.