Templo de La Compaña, Guanajuato, Guanajuato, 18th Century
Founded in 1747 by the Jesuit Order, La Compañía represented a massive construction project dedicated to the Holy Trinity. Architect Felipe de Ureña designed this outstanding example of Churrigueresque architecture. Its facade is ornately carved with estípites, niche pilasters, and a statue in high relief of St. Ignatius Loyola above alfiz of the main portal. Education was central to the mission of the Jesuits, and they established the College of the Santísima Trinidad as part of the complex in 1759. Just eight years later, the Jesuits were expelled from New Spain. The church towers were not completed according to the original plan, and in 1808 during a renovation project, the dome collapsed. The present dome was built in the late 19th century in a Neo-Classical style. The original Baroque retablos also disappeared and have been replaced with Neo-Classical altars.