St. Andrew (San Andres), Calpan, Puebla, 16th Century
Originally a visita of Huejotzingo, Saint Andrew later became an independent monastery. Work on the present complex dates from about 1548; construction was supervised by Franciscan Friar Juan de Alameda. The church, typically Plateresque, has an elaborately carved west portal, and is otherwise quite plain. The tall narrow facade has a Gothic feel with its double arched choir windows draped with the Franciscan cord.
All four of the original posas are intact and in excellent condition. These, the most elaborately decorated posas in Mexico, represent an outstanding example of tequítqui sculpture. Scholars posit that perhaps the skilled craftsmen of nearby Huejotzingo carved these reliefs, but with less European supervision, and thus with a more distinct indigenous flavor.