In 1538 a diocese in San Cristobal was established as one of the seven original bishoprics of New Spain. A small adobe building served as the cathedral until the construction of the present building in the 1670s. Baroque in style, the cathedral resembles the churches of Guatemala more than those of Mexico. It houses two 18th century, gilded retablos, also in the style of Guatemala.
After an earthquake in 1902, the interior was rebuilt in a neo-classical style with arcades of Corinthian columns separating the side aisles from the nave.