St. Francis (San Francisco), Querétaro, Querétaro, 16 - 17th Century
The monastery church of San Francisco sits in the center of the city of Querétaro, across from the Plaza de la Constitución, which was formerly its atrium. Architect José de Bayas Delgado started construction on the present church in 1658. The two tiered retablo facade of this early baroque church is highly geometric. It has fluted Corinthian pilasters, shell niches and classical entablatures, crowned with a striking relief sculpture of Santiago Matamoros (St. James the Moorslayer).