Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Christ, Morelia, Michoacán, 17th-18th Century
The elegant stone structure now standing in Morelia was preceded by a 16th century building of wood and adobe. Vicencio Barroso de la Escayola, an Italian architect, completed the plans for the present building in 1660. The cathedral was dedicated in 1705, though the facade and towers were not complete until later (1711 and 1744 respectively). The facade of the cathedral, divided into three sections, retains its classical lines beneath a surface of Baroque ornamentation that adds a dynamic sense of movement to the building.