Cathedral, Oaxaca, Oaxaca, 16th to 18th Century
The diocese of Oaxaca was established in 1535, making it one of the original seven bishoprics established in New Spain. The first building, completed by 1544, suffered from numerous revisions and earthquakes. The cathedral was completely rebuilt between 1702 and 1730 after a series of destructive earthquakes ending in 1674. The towers were completed in 1733. The interior has a nave and side aisles. A second set of side aisles have been transformed into side chapels. The cathedral houses a total of 30 vaulted bays. The typically Baroque ornamentation of the facade is restrained by a strong classical compartmentalization: five vertical sections and three horizontal tiers. There are three portals reflecting the nave and side aisles.